Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blueberry Cheesecake Kit Kat - Koshin Limited Edition

So if you follow this blog you'll know that recently I realized that not only are there Kit Kats to be found in my local supermarket and conbini but that there are special limited edition boxes that are only sold in certain cities/regions of Japan or on the internet. So I broke down, pulled up the Nestle E-shop in one tab and Babelfish in the other, and ordered me some strange regional Kit Kats. This is not one of them. I mean it is a regional limited edition, Koshin Limited, according to the box, I just mean it's not that strange of a taste. This is the consolation prize I allowed myself for actually buying Miso Kit Kats and Soy Sauce Kit Kats. If I was spending all that money then I felt that I should at least have one box of appetizing sounding chocolate on there.

Despite all that the Blueberry Cheesecake Kit Kat was a little disappointing. Maybe I had my hopes too high, after all blueberry cheesecake is pretty awesome (and blueberry cheesecake ice cream is even better.) But the Blueberry Cheesecake Kit Kat failed to deliver. For 810 yen plus shipping I got a very nice box of 12 mini Kit Kats. There's also a very nice description of the area it's from on the inside. Or at least that's what I imagine it says since I can't really read it. I pretend that it says something about a lake and mountains and delicious blueberries because that's what the picture on the box evokes, but really it could be about anything. They are 69 calories for one bar. It was white chocolate with a very very faint hint of a blueberry smell. The blueberry taste was just as mild and if I wasn't such a conscientious reviewer and been looking for it I might have missed it all together.



I would have liked a much stronger blueberry taste. And even some more cheese flavor would have been good too. In other words, it wasn't a bad snacking experience but it wasn't one to write home about either. Definitely not worth the hassle of ordering it online but I also won't mind serving it to friends with tea when they come to visit. (Just a note if you ever visit me you will almost certainly be served Kit Kats because I have to get rid of all these mini packs somehow. They will also feature heavily in Christmas presents this year too.) Final score is middling for being a less than creative flavor without really delivering on the flavor.

Final Score: 5



5 comments:

  1. I had these as individual sticks and also didn't think the berry flavor was very strong (nor the cheesecake for that matter). My husband got a "case" of them on the cheap because the small ones (which sold for 40 yen per finger) didn't seem to sell very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that these got repackaged as a regional flavor. Oh well, they can't all be wonderful, right? Looking forward to hearing about Miso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So these have been out before huh? I had no idea. I'm surprised since it sounds like they weren't a huge hit. In that same vein, I suspect that the new Cafe Latte Kit Kats currently in my kitchen waiting to be eaten are another repeat of Tiramisu and Coffee Expresso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're curious, these were considered a "regional speciality" for the Nagano area. I picked up a box for a friend while sightseeing there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This cheesecake box looks absolutely scrumptious! I can't wait to try it and indulge in its creamy deliciousness!"

    ReplyDelete